Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hesitation

when confronted with the opportunity to write, i find i'm reluctant to do so. it's been so easy to focus on other people's writings lately, that i don't even think about my own stuff. in fact, sometimes i feel that the second i got my degree in writing, i ceased to become a writer. by defining myself as something, i immediately became afraid that i could not live up to the definition. so for five years, i've been hiding in the role of editor...the safe role...the role i already knew i could do.

even now, as i sit here starting at a brand new blog, i find myself completely preoccupied with organizing and customizing my page instead of writing in it, as though the moment my words are flung out into the wide expanse of the internet universe, they will immediately come under scrutiny and rejection.

the evidence that i have a degree, an actual bachelor's degree, in writing, which not just anyone can get...should convince me that i can, in fact, write, and write well. and yet, here i sit...

No comments:

Post a Comment